The daily menu is rarely complete without fresh herbs. Parsley is one of its most common species. With its astringent taste and pleasant aroma, it gives dishes a special appeal.
Parsley should be at hand constantly. Well, if you can break the bunch directly from the garden. But not everyone has such an opportunity. And summer does not last all year. Often you have to buy greens and take care to keep them longer.
How to keep fresh parsley
Parsley is best picked in the morning - after the sun has dried the dew. At this time, greens are the most fragrant. But the midday heat can significantly worsen its taste.
When buying parsley in the market or in the store, you need to choose bunches of bright green color and with a fresh aroma. Such greens will remain in the refrigerator for several days. It is necessary:
- Put a bunch of parsley in a jar of water. The leaves should remain at the top and not be drowned in liquids,
- put a spacious bag on the greens and move it to the lower shelf of the refrigerator.
The color and aroma of parsley will last 3-4 days.
To preserve fresh greens longer, you can use one of the following methods:
1. Storage of parsley in a glass container:
- Cooking a clean liter jar.
- Wipe inside with a napkin so that not a drop of moisture remains on the walls.
- Put the parsley in the jar with the roots up. This is to make it easier to get greens.
- We close the lid from polyethylene and send the jar to the refrigerator.
Greens remain fresh for up to three weeks.
2. Storage of parsley in a package:
- We put parsley in a plastic bag.
- Peel a small onion and put inside.
- In a half-open form, we place the package on the lower shelf of the refrigerator.
Parsley will not fade or lose its aroma until two weeks.
Greens should be washed only before immediate use.
Freezing parsley bunches for the winter
Save parsley for several months and even until the next harvest is not difficult. One of the acceptable harvesting methods is freezing.
Cold does not destroy the structure of parsley leaves. Therefore, in the frozen greenery all beneficial substances and fresh aroma are preserved.
The simplest thing is to freeze parsley in bunches without chopping it into pieces. Workpiece sequence:
- We sort the parsley, remove the yellowed and dried leaves, extraneous blades of grass.
- Rough petioles are cut.
- Submerge the parsley in water and wash it very carefully.
- Place the twigs on a paper towel to dry.
- Divide the absolutely dry greens into small bunches and wrap in cling film. It is important that the amount of parsley in the bag is enough to dress one dish.
- We send the workpiece to the freezer.
Parsley will be perfectly preserved all winter. It must be remembered that after defrosting it must not be re-exposed to cold.
Other ways to freeze parsley
Parsley for the winter can be saved in the form of fragrant ice cubes. We do this:
- Wash the parsley and chop finely.
- We lay out the greens in ice tins.
- Fill with water and carefully put in the freezer.
- We transfer completely frozen cubes to a bag and leave it in the cold.
Greens in this form will last up to four months.
Instead of water, chopped parsley is poured with olive oil or melted butter. Then the dishes seasoned with herbs will become even more appetizing. Parsley frozen in oil can be stored for up to six months.
Storage of parsley in salt form
Salt is a natural preservative, so it perfectly retains all the beneficial contents of parsley. The salting process is as follows:
- My parsley and finely chopped.
- Mix greens with salt in a ratio of 5: 1. You can use a blender.
- We decompose the resulting mixture into a clean glass container. We leave room for juice, which is formed as the salt dissolves.
- The container is tightly closed and placed in the refrigerator or in the cellar.
Parsley with salt will last at least six months.
Preserving dried parsley
Dried parsley perfectly retains useful qualities, and its aroma not only does not disappear, but also becomes more saturated.
Dry the greens like this:
- Wash the parsley well.
- We dry until a drop of water remains on the greenery.
- We leave parsley in its entirety or disassemble it into leaves.
- We spread the greens in one layer on a baking sheet or a sheet of paper.
- We dry in the shade, in a dry and well-ventilated room (the kitchen is quite suitable).
In a few days, parsley will be ready for long-term storage.
You can dry the greens in the oven, observing the following conditions:
- temperature - 50-60 degrees,
- the oven door does not close (so that the air circulates freely)
- greens are periodically mixed.
In the oven, parsley will dry in 5-6 hours.
Greens should be stored in sealed glass containers in a dry and dark place. It remains usable for at least a year.
Each mistress has her own way of storing greens. It’s not bad at all, when at any time of the year fresh parsley pleases with its aroma and decorates your favorite dishes.
Ways to store fresh parsley in season
Even during the season, not every one of us has the opportunity to collect fresh parsley in the garden every day. The greens brought from the dacha or bought at the market have to be stored for a long time. So that it does not lose nutritional value, does not wither and does not deteriorate, it is necessary to avoid:
- bright sunlight, from which spicy herbs turn yellow and lose vitamins,
- excess moisture leading to rotting of the product,
- excessive water loss by leaves,
- access of oxygen, causing oxidative processes (the appearance of brown spots, a choked appearance of greenery).
There are several simple and effective ways to keep parsley fresh:
- For 3-4 days, garden greens can lie at room temperature. To do this, it must be thoroughly cleaned of alien and spoiled twigs, earth and the lower part of the stems. Never wash!
Then the whole bunch is tightly wrapped in parchment or a napkin made of natural fabric and laid in a dark, cool place.
- Another option: put parsley in a wide container 1/3 filled with water so that only the stems are moistenedbut not the leaves. Such a “bouquet” can stand on the table for several days, away from sunlight. But it is better to cover it with a plastic bag on top and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Water should be changed periodically. At low temperatures, the “life” of a bouquet of parsley will last up to two weeks.
- Squeezed, but not washed parsley can be laid out on a paper towel for a while to absorb excess moisture, and then put in a plastic bag with holes for ventilation and send to the refrigerator. Even faster, just wrap a bunch of greens with a linen or cotton napkin, and then put it in a bag. The fabric will absorb moisture no worse than a paper towel.
"All in a bunch"
Indeed, whole branches of parsley and stored well, and frozen easily, and universal in use.
Pre-fresh greens are washed, freed from garbage and cut off too long stems with roots.
Wet greens are dried with a paper towel, laid out on a dry surface and kept for some time, regularly turning over so that excess moisture evaporates. In this case, the branches should not fade.
Next, parsley is collected in small bunches (at one time), placed in a plastic bag and shock freeze. This is the best way to preserve vitamins and minerals in spices.
Green ice cubes
For dressing soups, they often take parsley frozen in cubes.
It is not difficult to cook these semi-finished products: they put a few pinches of greens in special molds, fill them with water and put them in the freezer.
It is enough to throw an ice cube into a boiling soup, so that the parsley thawed immediately, giving the first dish its unique flavor.
Instead of water, you can take butter: melted butter, olive or sunflower. Subsequently, briquettes with fat are thrown into the pan and used to fry vegetables or meat.
Parsley freezing in cling film
Portion freezing is convenient when a hostess does not need a large amount of parsley at one time.
Prepared whole branches are tightly wrapped in cling film and rewound with thread. Good for fixing and banking gum.
As necessary, part of the film is turned off, the right amount of parsley is cut, and the rest is re-packed.
The method is suitable for those who live in their home and grow greenery in the garden.
Part of the parsley can be left from the autumn in the garden, marking with pegs the place of its growth. It is sprinkled with snow, in this form parsley will leave for the winter.
When you cook soup or stew meat, just go out into the garden. Dig out the snow and pick a few twigs of frozen greens. Do not forget to sprinkle the bed again with snow.
This method is a little risky, since there are winters without snow, there are thaws. However, you can always keep your finger on the pulse and in case of force majeure you will manage to send greens to the freezer.
Dried Parsley - A Worthy Alternative to Freezing
If for some reason it is not possible to store greens in the freezer, it should be dried. Seasoning processed in this way is compact in storage, and also contains almost all the vitamins and mineral salts that fresh parsley is rich in.
You can dry spicy herbs in the following ways:
- in the oven,
- in the microwave
- in the dryer for vegetables and fruits.
With natural dehydration, parsley with dense leaves is cleaned of rotten parts and impurities, washed thoroughly and dried with paper towels.
Next, the greens are either cut and laid out in a thin layer on paper sheets, covered with gauze, or suspended in bundles on a rope.
The drying process takes up to 7 days.
It is much faster however part of the nutrients are destroyed by high temperatures.
The leaves, peeled from the stems, are scattered on a baking sheet covered with parchment and sent to the oven, heated to 45 - 50 ° C. The door does not need to be closed to allow moisture to escape. Periodically, the leaves move, otherwise they may burn.
How to store dried parsley at home
Well-dried leaves are easily separated from the stems and crumble when squeezed. The resulting seasoning is poured into glass jars with tight-fitting lids or paper bags folded inside.
Store parsley in a dry, dark place.away from stoves or heaters. It does not lose its taste and beneficial properties for 2 years.
Vegetable oil parsley
The leaves are washed and finely cut, and then fall asleep in glass jars, slightly tamping the mass. Then the tank is gradually filled with refined vegetable oil, making sure that no air bubbles form.
Oil is poured in portions - then it fills the gaps between the greens as much as possible.
Banks are closed with plastic, and even better, vacuum lids and stored either in the cellar or in the refrigerator at + 7ºС.
Parsley is crushed and placed in pre-sterilized jars, pouring with layers of coarse salt.
Greens and preservatives are taken in a ratio of 5: 1, respectively.
Salted parsley is stored similarly to a workpiece with vegetable oil.
Use as dressing for soups and main dishes.
Parsley in the marinade
Two more options, how to keep parsley in the refrigerator for the winter without freezing.
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley,
- ½ liter of water
- 2 tbsp. l Sahara,
- 2 tbsp. l coarse salt
- Bay leaf,
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp. l vinegar.
- Cut the washed and thoroughly dried parsley.
- At the bottom of the sterilized cans, put the garlic and bay leaf. Tightly fill the containers with greens and fill with hot brine.
- For marinade, mix water with salt and sugar, bring to a boil, pour in vinegar and immediately remove from heat.
- We sterilize the filled cans for 15 minutes, at a temperature of 90 - 95ºС.
- Roll up, wrap up heat and set to cool.
Ready preservation can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 6 months.
- a bunch of parsley
- 1 tbsp. l with the top of coarse salt,
- 1 liter water.
- We fill the sterilized jars with herbs as in the previous recipe. Fill the leaves with saline, heated to 80 ° C and leave to roam for 2 to 3 days. Do not forget to remove the foam from time to time.
- We seal the jars with plastic lids and store them on the lower shelf of the refrigerator at plus temperature.
In order for parsley preparations for the winter to be well stored and bring maximum benefit, it is important to adhere to three rules:
- Greens must be clean and dry.
- Use only leaves without thick parts of the stem.
- We do freezing portioned.
- Vacuum packaging contributes to longer storage of herbs.
Cook for yourself and loved ones with love, and you will save the most valuable thing - health.
Ingredients (Fresh Greens)
- Fresh herbs: dill, parsley, cilantro, etc., as needed
- Usually, the composition and amount of greens that are bought and stored at home for making soup, main dishes, appetizers and salads is limited to 1-2 bunches. Most often, rarely does anyone think about the question: how to store greens, rightly believing that it is enough to put a bunch of dill in the refrigerator, wrapped in a plastic bag. Maxim - put a bunch of greens in a glass of water, and, of course, forget about it.
- In home cooking, almost always use dill and parsley, this is the main spicy greens with us. In season, use cilantro, basil, sometimes mint. And, of course, green onions. If there is fresh and elastic aromatic greens in your home refrigerator, it is very easy to prepare a pita snack with greens, which is great for strong drinks.
Dill and parsley, this is the main spicy greens with us
Rinse greens very well with cold running water
Pour greens with cold water
How to store greens at home - very simple
Appetizer of fresh and elastic fragrant herbs in pita bread
How to store greens at home - very simpleSharePinTweetSendSendSend